Sacred objects for pet loss grief can heal and show up in many forms. Often I encourage my clients and readers to save a collar, a water bowl, and/or a leash as sacred mementos. Yet, the most important thing—you choose what is special to you and your journey.
Let’s Explore More . . .
Sometimes an object is simply an object, but sometimes certain items can inhabit a much more important space in our hearts. A special memory, a kind reflection, or a joyous adventure.
With pet loss you may have a well-meaning friend, co-worker, or family member encouraging you to “get rid” of your companion’s things. In today’s world we are in a rush and encouraged to not take the time to grieve. The advice given to downsize. Often too early.
Choosing Sacred Objects for Pet Loss
While it is important to downsize and keep only items that bring you joy. Those items you choose can be incredible for healing through inspiration, kindness, compassion, and continued connection with your companion.
Simply seeing or touching certain objects can evoke feelings, and if those feelings are positive or meaningful, they become sacred.
If one of your companion’s object is a keeper, it can bring you great comfort and a sense of continued connection with your beloved pet.
Whether you save one sacred object for pet loss or an entire collection, all the items have a story to tell. Probably many, many beautiful stories that evoke healing at some point.
And no matter what you experience—the power of sacred objects for pet loss is your choice to be made.
I Invite You
Before you “get rid” of your companion’s belongings, please consider the following.
- Pick each one up one at a time.
- Tune in to your emotions.
- Does this item evoke a story that is special to me and my companion?
- What has this item “seen” in its lifetime and are the memories sacred?
Sacred objects for pet loss are those items that have a place in your heart and soul. These bits and pieces hold a huge importance for healing and remembrance. Allow yourself to cherish those items you choose. Never doubt your choices.
~ Wendy Van de Poll, MS, CEOL
- What was the most prized object of your companion? Why did your companion love this item so much?
- Hold that object, take a deep breath, and reflect on the memories it holds for you.
- What sacred objects would enhance your connection to your companion? How is this object special?